Friday, July 24, 2015

And home again!

As always, once one returns, it all fades so quickly (like Christmas, one anticipates for so long, and then, over and done!). Fortunately there is a heavy-duty paper trail which follows me, i.e: the boxes with all my purchases:
      

All arrived most expeditiously, everything opened, sorted, priced...and now the fun part of my life begins: clients with special requests are contacted first...and then I must choose what to show on new web pages on my site www.merrywalk.com
     



Where to begin?  There are several groups of tablewares that are charming and unusual,  there are several spectacular platters, there are some rare signed and dated  presentoirs, plates from 1830 to1930, and more....
  


Do I keep anything for myself? Once in a great while, because I've always felt one can't be a good dealer if one skims off the best things and keeps them. (Of course, not everyone has the same notion about "Best"!)
Nevertheless, it is usually just an oddity that begs to stay...this time it was a wonderful pitcher I found in a small shop near Contres, where I stayed at the wonderful Manoir de Contres.



The shopkeeper couldn't really tell me much about it, just muttered  something about "Tours", which is a city about an hour from there. It has a signature incised in the clay, and the piece could have been made??? yesterday? or a long time ago??? Doesn't matter; he looks like "The King of the Golden River" which is one of my favorite children's books, and I have a vintage copy on my small shelf of that genre. The book was written by John Ruskin in the 19th century, the only book for children he ever wrote, and it is a fable, or more precisely, a morality tale. Now I have them sitting together on a small table, a nice souvenir from a good trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment